Navigating the Hazardous Waste Regulations

What is Hazardous Waste?
“Some types of waste are harmful to human health, or to the environment, either immediately or over an extended period of time. These are called hazardous wastes.” EA Website, Feb 2013.

Where to look?
The European Waste Catalogue (EWC) classifies and categorises all kinds of waste material into a list. It includes reference to how the waste was produced, for example as part of a manufacturing process, and also if it is potentially hazardous.

Each waste has an EWC code attached, and it’s these that will be quoted on paperwork when contractors make a collection.

For Example:
08 03 17 waste printing toner containing dangerous substances

Do I need to Register?

– Producer
There are two exemptions to notifying as a hazardous waste producer.
1) A registered waste carrier must collect all hazardous waste AND
2) you must produce less than 500kg of hazardous waste in any 12 month period.

– Carrier/Broker
In 2014 the regulations are changing. Use the Environment Agency’s tool to find out if you need to register.

Note [24th April 2021]:  the Environment Agency Website is now located at:


Robert Clements
Robert Clements
Articles: 290