Our ISO 14064 consultants can help you implement a Carbon programme to the international standard ISO 14064.
Managing your Carbon Footprint with ISO 14064 – An Introduction
What is an ISO 14064?
- Completion of ISO 14064, along with the calculation and off-set of your Carbon Footprint contributes to the ISO 14001 certification.
- The ISO (International Organisation for Standardisation) is the world’s largest developer and publisher of international standards.
- The ISO 14000 series of Environmental Management Standards are intended to assist organisations in managing their environmental impact of their business practices and to constantly improve their environmental performance.
- ISO 14064 provides organisations with the tools for programmes to measure, quantify and reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) and achieve carbon neutrality.
- ISO 14064 is an internationally recognised standard and will provide a comprehensive environmental strategy for organisations to take part in voluntary and regulated programmes to offset their emissions.
What are Carbon Footprints & Greenhouse Gas Emissions and why are they a problem?
“A carbon footprint measures the total greenhouse gas emissions caused directly and indirectly by a person, organisation, event or product.” The Carbon Trust
A Carbon Footprint takes all six of the “Kyoto Protocol” Greenhouse gases into consideration and is calculated using a Carbon Calculator.
A very basic explanation is that Greenhouse Gases are made up of the six “Kyoto Protocol” greenhouse gases – Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4), Nitrous Oxide (N2O), Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), Perfluorocarbons (PFCs) and Sulphur Hexafluoride (SF6).
These gases reside in the atmosphere and trap the heat trying to escape, causing the earth to heat up.
There are three main causes:
- Destruction of wooded areas such as rainforests.
- Consumption of fossil fuels.
- Increase in population.
The Benefits of Calculating your Carbon Footprint
By identifying the carbon impact of your business, you can begin to take action to improve it. By reducing or offsetting your carbon footprint, you are not only helping to improve the environment, but also reduce costs, improve efficiency, increase bottom-line profit, demonstrate the company’s commitment to high standards of quality and enhance the reputation of the business. Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) goes a long way.
GHG Carbon Inventory Audit Report
To manage something it must first be measured using the ISO 14064 Standard guidelines – approved as “good practice” in the industry as it provides a framework for the verification of a greenhouse gas emissions audit.
Through a process of gathering existing data, a comprehensive audit report will be produced and include a calculation of all business emissions including energy (electricity and gas), business travel, water, waste and other factors.
The audit process is straightforward and easy to complete and support is provided throughout.
The Benefits of Purchasing Carbon Offsets
Aside from the obvious benefit of offsetting your organisation’s carbon, purchasing carbon credits also supports green projects around the world and the communities that rely on them, whilst demonstrating your organisation’s commitment to protecting the environment.
There are a multitude of ethical and verifiable carbon offset projects to select from in dozens of countries.