ISO 20121 is an internationally recognised standard developed by the International Organisation for Standardisation that focuses on sustainable event management. It provides guidelines for organisations to integrate sustainability principles into their event planning and execution processes. By adopting ISO 20121, businesses can minimise the negative environmental, social, and economic impacts of their events, while also enhancing their positive contributions to society.
Benefits of ISO 20121 Certification
- Reduced carbon footprint: Organisations identify and mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, promote environmentally responsible events.
- Efficient resource management: Businesses can reduce waste generation and conserve valuable resources like water and energy.
- Preservation of biodiversity: Organisations consider the local ecosystem and take measures to protect and preserve biodiversity.
- Community engagement: Organisations involve local communities in the event planning process and addressing their concerns.
- Diversity and inclusivity: ISO 20121 emphasises creating events that are accessible and inclusive for all attendees, regardless of their backgrounds or abilities.
- Health and safety: Implementing ISO 20121 ensures that events are conducted in a safe and secure environment, promoting the well-being of participants and staff.
- Cost savings: Sustainable practices can lead to reduced operational costs, such as energy consumption and waste disposal.
- Enhanced reputation: ISO 20121 certification demonstrates an organisation’s commitment to sustainability, which can attract eco-conscious customers and partners.
- Business opportunities: Many governmental and non-governmental entities prioritise working with environmentally responsible organisations, creating new business prospects.
Who can benefit from ISO 20121 Certification?
ISO 20121 is not limited to specific industries and can be adopted by various organisations, including:
- Event Management Companies: To offer sustainable event planning services to their clients.
- Corporations: To organise sustainable conferences, trade shows, and product launches.
- Public Sector Organisations: For government-sponsored events and public gatherings.
- Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs): For hosting eco-friendly fundraisers and awareness campaigns.
Key Components of ISO 20121
Top management must champion sustainable event management and integrate it into the organisation’s overall strategy.
Identify and involve relevant stakeholders in the event planning process to understand their expectations and concerns.
Sustainable Supply Chain
Work with suppliers and vendors who share the commitment to sustainability, ensuring that the entire event ecosystem is aligned with ISO 20121 principles.
Planning and Design
Develop a sustainability policy and set objectives to guide event planning, considering social, environmental, and economic aspects.
Implement sustainable practices during event execution, including waste reduction, energy efficiency, and responsible resource consumption.
Evaluation and Improvement
Continuously monitor the event’s sustainability performance, gather feedback, and make improvements based on lessons learned.
ISO 20121 Consultants – How we can help
Assent Risk Management has ISO 20121 consultants who can help you implement an Event Sustainability Management System and achieve certification.
We will work with you to build a Management System that fits with your organisation, building on the good work you are already doing, and support improvements.